Saturday, 5 July 2014



At a Catholic film festival held in the Vatican called Mirabile Dictu, the French film-maker Cheyenne Carron has just won a prize for her new film L’apôtre [The Apostle]. Her film tells the story of a Muslim who had intended to become an imam changing his mind and converting to Catholicism instead. Despite having an established a track record as a film-maker, and maintaining a long-running relationship with the French government agency that subsidises film-making, Carron's requests for funding for this film were denied outright. Instead, she had to turn to private philanthropists.
Interviewer: Rue 89 [tn: a pro-multicultural website] has just devoted part of an article to you entitled "Catholic films are coming back to the cinemas thanks to private sponsors". Is it true, as the journalist says, that after you had been turned away by the CNC [National Centre for Cinema, which subsidises film-making in France], you wrote to the 10 wealthiest people in France after finding a list of them in Challenge and that one of them responded positively? 
Cheyenne Carron: Yes, that's right. After five full-length films, the CNC is still refusing to help me... But this film, I absolutely wanted to do it. Then one day, seeing the magazine Challenge that listed the 100 wealthiest people in France, I took the top 10 from the list and wrote a short letter to them, and sent a DVD of my previous film (La Fille Publique). I explained to them that I was looking for a small budget to make an important film. Three months later, one of them sent me this money, and I made my film.
Source: Boulevard Voltaire

0 comments:

Post a Comment